Today I have launched the Blossom & Berry Nurture Manifesto. It embodies all of the ideas that led me to create Blossom & Berry and shapes all I do. Take a look and let us know what you think, if you are with us and how you can add to the impact we are making.
The emotional and mental health of babies and parents underpins all we do at Blossom & Berry. We believe that healthy and supportive relationships are vital to wellbeing and that by supporting and nurturing babies and new parents we have the opportunity to make the world a better place and protect our planet.
Support & Nurturing For Babies & Children
- Babies & children have the right to be heard and have their needs met and recognised.
- Babies & children must be responded to with love, kindness, patience & understanding.
- Babies & children must receive nurturing touch and physical interaction when they need it.
- Babies & children must be helped to understand and regulate their emotions through empathy, physical contact and positive interaction from their care-givers.
- Babies and children must not be neglected, abused or ignored.
- When babies and children communicate with us, we must respond with love and patience.
- Babies need consistent loving care to grow and develop physically and emotionally.
Support & Nurturing For New Parents
- Parents should feel able to express their emotions and opinions freely.
- Parents should feel able to ask for support from others without fear of judgment or unsolicited advice.
- Parents should understand that parenting is a process and that it develops through time and experience. There should be no expectation of perfection.
- Parents should have space to explore their own feelings around their childhoods and how it informs their choices as parents.
- Parents should have the confidence to follow their instincts and make the choices that are right for their families.
- Parents should have access to the science and research studies around neuroscience to enable them to learn about emotional and mental health.
- Parents can release themselves from expectations. You can only do your best at the time.
- Self care should be a regular practice for all parents. You cannot love, care and nurture another unless you love, care and nurture yourself.
- Looking after your emotional and mental health starts from conception and pregnant women need to feel relaxed and supported.
Support & Nurturing Within The Community
- Parenting preparation classes to help women and men adjust to parenting.
- Relaxation classes should be available in pregnancy to enable women to lower stress and anxiety levels.
- Relaxed mother led births should be supported and accomodated wherever possible.
- Support for new mothers for the first six weeks of birth through the health visiting service or a dedicated team of support workers to help new mothers feel valued, nurtured & celebrated after birth.
- Non judgmental parenting support groups for families to attend with research based advice.
- Baby massage and yoga classes for all new parents to attend.
- Free or low cost childcare options to unable parents to have a break from childcare.
- Matching mothers with new mothers to help share wisdom and support.
- Better support for new mothers suffering from postnatal depression or anxiety
- Better paternity and maternity leave for parents so they are able to dedicate time and attention to meeting their baby’s needs.
- New parent hubs where parents can go to feel supported and empowered.
To see the impact we are already making click here. We are really proud of what all our teachers have achieved and do.
You might also like my short video on our mission statement “Love Creates Love” here
If you’d love a free copy of my Blossom & Berry Business Plan, please sign up here and we’ll get it straight across to you